Dr. Susko's Corner
Help for Fibromyalgia
Who gets it?
- The most common cause of generalized, musculoskeletal pain in women between the ages of 20 and 55
- 80-90% are women; 6 times more common in women
- >2% of the population, increases with age
FM treatment: patient education
- Patient education about the disorder
- Reassurance that FM is a real illness and that it is not life -threatening or progressive
- There is no evidence FM is related to infection
- Sleep hygiene
- Role of exercise
- Prognosis: most people will lead normal and active lives
What are the symptoms?
- Brain fog ("fibro-fog")
- Pain in muscles all over the body
- Muscular aches
- Abdominal pain and irritable bowel symptoms (alternating diarrhea and constipation)
- One of the most important factors in how a person does long-term is their ability to take charge
- Avoid "catastrophizing"
- Remain as active as possible